Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bhaghara Chawal




Today I wanted to make rice but I was not quite in the mood for plain white rice which is what I usually make for dinner. Yet I didnt want something too fancy either. So I thought hey Ill make some bhaghara chawal. I have looked online from the past and I never found a recipe for this simple rice. (I looked online today too and still did not find one). So heres a first or at least one of a few. I learnt this recipe from my mother who said the secret to great tasting bhaghara chawal lies in using fresh and good amount of ginger and garlic paste. Of course you also need a few spices like shah zeera , and a few cloves, and a bay leaf. This dish goes great with just about anything, and is very versatile.

Ingredients:

1.5 cups of basmati rice or any long grain rice

3 cups water

1/2 medium onion chopped finely

1.5 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste

2 tsps ghee or clarified butter

2 tsps shah zeera

3 cloves

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon oil

salt to taste


Directions:

In a medium pot heat oil and ghee. Add shah zeera and cloves. Wait until the spices splutter. Add chopped onion and stir. Sprinkle a little salt over the onions. Let it become golden brown, then stir in ginger and garlic paste. Continue frying for 3 minutes then stir in rice and bay leaf. Add water. Add salt to taste. Let it come to a boil then switch to medium heat and cover tightly with a lid and let it continue to cook for 10-15 more minutes.

1 comment:

Fusion Ruby said...

Mmmm, I tried this recipe today and it came out very good. Even my kids loved it. Great recipe!